We see great advantages in getting Transition Year students involved in this initiative.
It gives students the opportunity to get on the first step of the coaching ladder and enables them to be involved in a youth leadership role to bring value to their TY programme and school. The programme allows students the opportunity to work in a fun and interactive environment with younger students.
- Complete a workshop on coaching skills for indoor rowing delivered by Rowing Ireland
- To be given a 4-6 week section of classes within their school to complete the programme
- To be given meaningful leadership roles and responsibility
- To receive supervision and support
- To benefit from their contribution
- To know who to go to if they have a concern
- To learn from their experience
Role: Certified Get going…Get rowing indoor rowing coach
Description: To provide indoor rowing coaching to students aged between 12 -17 in a fun safe environment
We advise that TY students who have not rowed before do at least two “Get Going…Get rowing” classes before taking the course. Our TY co-ordinator and Rowing Ireland representative will help you with this.
- The programme will develop leadership, event management, administration and life skills among transition year students together with basic rowing technical skills.
- Further promote Rowing in your school.
- Enhance the profile of the transition year programme in your school and community.
- TrY Rowing has been developed by Rowing Ireland and can only be certified by the Get Rowing programme Manager.
Timetable for TrY Skills Day
Day 1: 10:30am to 1.30pm. Includes:
- Leadership qualities
- Practical Work & Feedback
We ask Get Going…Get rowing TY students to
- Be reliable
- Carry out your duties to the best of your ability
- Attend your rowing sessions at the agreed times
- Notify the teacher and give as much notice as possible if you are unable to attend for some reason or if you are running later
- Respect the rights of participants and other volunteers and staff
- Be committed to the programme
- Work as part of a team
- To treat people with respect and dignity
The cost of TrY Rowing is €30 per student with a minimum of 20 students and a maximum of 30 students per course (the cost includes Rowing Ireland certificate for completion of a Foundation Course in Indoor Rowing, access to course materials and use of ergometers for duration of the programme).
For more information on TrY Coaching Rowing please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org